Thinking about switching from Basecamp 2 to 3?
So, you're thinking about switching from Basecamp 2 to Basecamp 3? We're excited for you—Basecamp 3 is great! But before you switch, there are a couple things you should know.
Your existing Basecamp 2 account will keep on working until the end of the internet! Nothing changes, nothing goes away. Everything you have in Basecamp 2 today is exactly the same — safe and sound, working like it always has. It’ll continue this way. You can keep using your current version forever. Basecamp 3 is entirely separate from what you already have.
If you rely on any of the following features in your current version of Basecamp, we’d recommend holding off on switching to Basecamp 3 for now:
- Calendar: The landscape has changed — most companies use Google Calendar or Outlook or iCalendar for their company calendar. So rather than create confusion by creating another calendar, we’ve focused on an straightforward line-by-line agenda-view rather than a traditional grid view. You can add any events on this agenda view to your own personal Google, Outlook, or iCalendar, and then they'll also show up on your phone. If you use the Basecamp 2 calendar extensively for calendaring we’d suggest experimenting with the Basecamp 3 Schedule feature before switching over completely.
- API Integrations: We have released the integration API for Basecamp 3, but it may take integrators some time to port over their work to Basecamp 3. Here are the integrations that are currently available.
Naturally, since Basecamp 3 is an entirely redesigned product, there are a variety of other changes and tweaks and adjustments to existing features, but none of those should be deal breakers or show-stoppers for you. In fact, we think you’ll find most of the changes to be very welcome additions. Nearly everything is more powerful, more flexible, and even more straightforward than ever before. Here's what's new in Basecamp 3.
You can move your projects from Basecamp 2 to Basecamp 3, with a few exceptions. Some things in Basecamp 2 either don’t exist in Basecamp 3 or they’re radically different — those things can’t be moved over. Here's the full rundown of what can and can’t be moved over to Basecamp 3.
People from previous versions of Basecamp won't show up automatically in Basecamp 3. But if you invite someone to Basecamp 3 using the same email address they used in Basecamp Classic or Basecamp 2, they won’t have to create a new account. Easy!
Yes you can! Keep your current projects running on the version of Basecamp you’re using now, and kick off new projects on Basecamp 3. We've made it easy to switch between accounts so you’re always just a click or two away from all your projects no matter which version you're using.
The rest of this guide will walk you through:
- How to set up your Basecamp 3 account
- A quick how-to for moving Basecamp 2 projects over
- What to do with your Basecamp 2 account once you're running on 3
- Answers to: How do I ______ in Basecamp 3?